« Home 

Sunday, April 09, 2006 

Pt I: Room with a View

I'm publishing various installments of a short story I'm in the process of writing. Please leave feedback and check for updates. Meanwhile, I'll also post various other short bits of writing and creative processes. Without wasting anymore time, here's the first installment of the story.

He thought it was bigger, but he’s not so hot at remembering details. It had everything he needed. A shower. A bed. A dinning room. But no table. Where was he going to get a table? Who’s ever seen a dining room without a table? Places like this are supposed to come furnished with couches and desks and kitchen tables. He would need plates too. Why didn’t he think of plates?

“Mr. Bowman, you’ll need to sign here, here and here.”

Nathan kept staring into the empty dinning room. Will he need chairs? What are the things that Japanese people eat at? Could he get one of those? The realtor sighed.

“What? Oh, call me Nate.”

She pushed the papers into his hands and waited.

“Right.” Nathan noticed her small hands. She’s pretty. She has soft eyes.

He saw all the fine print. His eyes widened. She looked like he could trust her, but he’s not so hot at reading people either. His sweaty hands smudged the signature. You only live once, right? He felt as if he just locked himself in a cage.

“If you need anything, Deborah will be back next week. She told me to tell you to leave a message. First rent’s due in two weeks.”

“What if something leaks?”

“Put some gum on it.” She turned, walked out and shut the door in one sweeping motion. Maybe the room was too small for her. Maybe it was too late to ask her to stay for dinner. There were no chairs anyway.

Nathan walked to the window in the front of his living room, and looked down on the suburb from the top of the hill. The sun started melting into the horizon shooting pinks and purples over the surrounding houses. Is that his parents' house? It looks far enough. He remembered his dad teaching him how to drive down this street. Nathan heard the owner of the flower shop begin to close the store downstairs. He’d need to eat soon. He thought the doughnut shop across the street sold muffins. Nathan was in the mood for some cranberries. No, he could get some unpacking done and eat later. Besides, it was open all night. He was used to late night snacks.

I must admit...I thought of how convient it would be to eat by a table without chairs like the chinese. One little bit of advice, when transitioning to the first quotation, maybe add some sort of tag in..."Interupting his thoughts,...just an idea. It reminds me of something I would write, and that makes me like it!

I like it. Keep writing.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Chadventure
  • From St. Louis, Missouri, United States
  • In stores, I usually mistake words like mad, sad, glad, dad, fad for my own name and look to see who's calling me.
My profile

Previous posts

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates